A.1. Professor Vincent P.K. Titanji.
Prof Titanji’s research is focused on the application of molecular biology techniques to the understanding and control of tropical diseases, including malaria, onchocerciasis, and tuberculosis. The aims of the research are to develop diagnostic tests, new drugs and vaccines against the target diseases. Together with his colleagues, Prof Titanji also explores the vast reserve of Cameroonian medicinal plants for cures and drug leads against the cited diseases and other systemic conditions like diabetes and the metabolic syndrome. A third aspect of his research interest is curriculum development coupled with capacity building in African Higher Education. An extended list of Professor Titanji’s publications can be obtained from www.pubmed.gov under the search words ‘Titanji V’. An illustrative selection from 2010 onwards is given below.
Prof Titanji collaborates with Drs Stephen Ghogomu, Moses Ngemenya, Dieudonne Njimoh Lemuh and Denis Zofou, of the Biotechnology Unit of the University of Buea, where he is an Honorary Dean at the faculty of Science.
Selected publications of Prof Titanji: 2010 -2014
- ANONG DN, NKUO-AKENJI T, FRU-CHO J, AMAMBUA-NGWA A, TITANJI VP.(2010). Genetic diversity of Plasmodium falciparum in Bolifamba, on the slopes of Mount Cameroon: influence of MSP1 allelic variants on symptomatic malaria and anaemia. . Ann Trop Med Parasitol.,104(1):25-33. PMID: 20149290 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- CHO-NGWA F, ZHU X, METUGE JA, DAGGFELDT A, GRÖNVIK KO, ORLANDO R, ATWOOD JA, TITANJI VP.(2010) Identification of in vivo released products of Onchocerca with diagnostic potential, and characterization of a dominant member, the OV1CF intermediate filament. Infect Genet Evol. 2010 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print].
- PENLAP-BENG,V.N;VICTOR,T;WARREN,R;JORRDAN’A;TEDOM;EYANGOH,T.S.N; ANYANGWE,A.I;TITANJI,VPK..(2010). Evidence of drug resistance among the LAM-Cameroon family in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from Yaounde, Cameroon. Journal of the Cameroon Academy of Sciences,9(1):11-15
- ZOFOU D, TENE M, NGEMENYA MN., TANE P, AND TITANJI VPK.. In Vitro Antiplasmodial Activity and Cytotoxicity of Extracts of Selected Medicinal Plants Used by Traditional Healers of Western Cameroon. Malaria Researh and Treatment (2011). SAGE-Hindawi Access article ID 561342.
- LEITGEB AM, BLOMQVIST K, CHO-NGWA F, SAMJE M, NDE P, TITANJI V, WAHLGREN M. Low anticoagulant heparin disrupts Plasmodium falciparum rosettes in fresh clinical isolates. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2011 Mar;84(3):390-6.
- TITANJI VPK, AMAMBUA AN, ANONG DN, MBANDY SK, TANGIE E, TENENG I AND YENGO R. Isolation and expression of UB05, a Plasmodium falciparum antigen recognized by antibodies from semi-immune adults in a high transmission endemic area of the Cameroonian rainforest. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2009;47(9):1147-58.
- LEKE WN, KVARNHEDEN A, NGANE EB, TITANJI VP, BROWN JK. Molecular characterization of a new begomovirus and divergent alphasatellite from tomato in Cameroon. (2011). Arch Virol. 2011 May;156(5):925-8. Epub 2011 Mar 11. No abstract available. PMID: 21394606 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- ZOFOU D, KENGNE AB, TENE M, NGEMENYA MN, TANE P, TITANJI VP. In vitro antiplasmodial activity and cytotoxicity of crude extracts and compounds from the stem bark of Kigelia africana (Lam.) Benth (Bignoniaceae). Parasitol Res. 2011 Jun;108(6):1383-90. Epub 2011 Apr 13.
- ASSAM ASSAM, J.P., PENLAP,V.B., CHO-NGWA, F., TEDOM, J.C., ANYANGWE,I., TITANJI,V.P.K.(2011).Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex Drug Resistance Pattern and Identification of Species causing TB in the West and Centre regions of Cameroon. BMC Infectious Diseases, 11:94 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2334/11/94.
- ASSAM ASSAM, J.P., PENLAP,V.B., CHO-NGWA, F., TEDOM, J.C., ANYANGWE,I., TITANJI,V.P.K.(2011).
Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex Drug Resistance Pattern and Identification of species Causing TB in the South and East regions of Cameroon. Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials. 3 (7):191-195 .
- TACHANG, G .K.et al.(2011).The role of plasma fibrinogen and uric acid levels in relation to myocardial infarction risk in patients with the metabolic syndrome-Preliminary findings in the Littoral region of Cameroon. International Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences.,1(1): 221-231
- ZOFOU D, KOWA TK, WABO HK, NGEMENYA MN, TANE P, TITANJI VP. (2011). Hypericum lanceolatum (Hypericaceae) as a potential source of new anti-malarial agents: a bioassay-guided fractionation of the stem bark. Malar Journal. 2011 Jun 17;10:167. PMID: 21682873 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE].
- ZOFOU D, TENE M, TANE P, TITANJI VP. (2011). Antimalarial drug interactions of compounds isolated from Kigelia africana (Bignoniaceae) and their synergism with artemether, against the multidrug-resistant W2mef Plasmodium falciparum strain. Parasitol Res. 2011 Aug 4. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21814840
- LEITGEB AM, BLOMQVIST K, CHO-NGWA F, SAMJE M, NDE,P, TITANJI V, WAHLGREN M (2011). Low anticoagulant heparin disrupts Plasmodium falciparum rosettes in fresh clinical isolates.American Journal of Tropical medicine and Hygiene,84(3):390-396.PMID:21363975 (pubmed indexed for Medline)
- TITANJI,VPK.(2012). The status of genetically modified organisims in Cameroon. Journal of the Cameroon Academy of Sciences,10:3-5
- TITANJI,VPK.(2013).The present status and perspectives of Biotechnology in Cameroon with particular reference to GM and non-GM technologies. Journal of the Cameroon Academy of Sciences,11:3-9
- TACHANG,G.K;CHOUKEM,S-P;NDJEBET,J;DZUDIE,A & TITANJI,VPK. (2013). The prevalence of the Metabolic Syndrome in the Littoral region of Cameroon. International Journal of Current Research,5(04):815-822
- DINGA,J.N;Mbandi, S.K;CHO-NGWA,F;NDE,PF;MOLIKI,J;
EFETI,R,M;NYASA,B,R;ANONG,D,N; Neojsa,J;HEKERMAN,D; WANG,R;TITANJI,VPK. (2014).Differential T-cell Responses of semi-immune and susceptible malaria subjects to in silsico predicted and synthetic peptides of Plasmodium falciparum.Acta Tropica, 135:104-121
- TITANJI,VPK.(2015). Lessons from the Control of the 2014 EBOLA crises and their potential impact on other endemic killer diseases of Africa. Science* Policy* Africa,4:3-5
- NONDO,RSO;ZOFOU,D;MOSHI,M.J; ERASO,P;WANJI,S;NGEMENYA,M;TITANJI,VPK;KIDUKULI,A.W.;MASIMBA,P.J.(2015.Ethonobotanical survey and in vitro anti plasmodial activity of medicinal plants used to treat malaria in Kagera and Lindi regions, Tanzania. Journal of Medicinal Plants Research,9(6):179-192